Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Doc's First Post

Hi all,

Thanks for checking in here. I am creating this blog because I thought it would be interesting and informative to see some of the discoveries I am making about health. I am committted to this journey, and I am constantly reading new books, journals, updates, and attending seminars about the latest in natural health. I remain incredibly curious about what makes us heal, even though I have been studying all of this for 15 plus years. My areas of focus are nutritional breakthroughs, cleansing programs, living foods, functional imbalances that go undetected like thyroid or sugar imbalances. So, you get the latest newsbreaking information about health as I get them! Some topics I will be blogging about: Iodine deficiency may be more common than we could imagine, Portland Living Foods Retreat, pH Assessment and Cleansing Programs.

Some books I have been reading:

Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It, 2nd Edition
David Brownstein, MD.

Salt Your Way To Health, David Brownstein, MD

The Hundred Year Lie, How Food and Medicine are Destroying Your Health, Randall Fitzgerald

As for a little more about me, the naturopathic doc. I became interested in much of this in 1989. My father had AIDS, my sister chronic depression and an eating disorder. I lost both of these members of my family in 1990 and 1991. During this time, I started reading the books of Norman Walker, Paavo Aairola, and Ann Wigmore. I became fascinated with natural healing and how it was different from conventional medicine. I learned in a class at Baruch College, where I was studying accounting of all things, that the AZT my father was taking was toxic to his bone marrow and could cause liver cirrhosis. Later I learned that the Pentamidine my father was taking to prevent Pneumocystis Carinii was incredibly toxic. Why would good doctors prescribe these toxic medications? What else is out there?

My sister had anorexia, bulimia, and depression. As far as I can recall, nutrtional counseling was not ever part of her treatment plan. She was shifted by medical professionals, including medical doctors and psychiatrists who could not find help for her all over the state of New York, and finally down to one of the best hospitals in the country in Maryland. Her daily diet? It included several diet sodas, non-fat yogurt and cigarettes! Looking back now, large doses of B-Vitamins would probably have made a profound difference, along with an array of homeopathics and herbal formulations. These experiences were really a spark set me in motion on a journey. I have studied nutrtion in foods, traveled to Ashrams and cleansing centers, read many different philosophies on health.

Today, my enthusiasm has not waned! The more I know, the more that I want to know and the more I realize how much there is to learn. So, if you too are interested in the very best in health and are interested in healing yourself or optimizing wellness, check in here for Doctor Ariel's postings!

No comments: