Monday, May 25, 2009

Chocolate Coconut Smoothie - Pure Nirvana


I have been wanting to get the raw chocolate thing going in my morning superfood smoothie, but it just hasn't tasted good...Too bitter, too watery, etc. After a couple of Detox Foot Baths this weekend and a constant dose of the Terminator Zapper, my mind cleared and the heavens opened! OK - I might have missed the obvious all along. I took coconut water PLUS about 1/4 cup of coconut flesh from the Young Thai coconut that I just opened...I believe that smooothies with a healthy fat base allow for a more complete delivery system of the "medicine" (superfoods and superherbs) that you put in the smoothie. Hemp seeds, hemp oil, and flax oil are alternative ways of achieving this.

Here is the recipe for a Superfood Smooothie with incredible taste:

1 Tbsp. Cacao - I like Vivapura Raw Chocolate from Ecuador
2 Tbsp. Goji Berries
1 Tbsp. Revitaphi - Elements for Life (www.noblelifeelements.com/livefooddoctor)
1/4 cup coconut flesh
1 cup coconut water
2 droppersful Maitake - I like MycoHerb
3-4 ice cubes

Blend in VitaMix. Enjoy!

To learn how to open a Young Thai coconut, which is available at most Asian Grocers, check out Andrea Livingston's Raw Food blog www.phytofoods.blogspot.com!

1 comment:

Rawfully Tempting B. Kessler said...

I am curious how you feel about Young Thai coconuts...
I found this USDA document saying they are dipped in sulfites for several minutes:
http://www.ba.ars.usda.gov/hb66/055coconut.pdf

"To prevent browning of the remaining husk, nuts are dipped in 1 to 3% sodium meta-bisulfite for 2 to 5 min and then wrapped in plastic film (Tongdee et al., 1991). Sometimes fungicide is included in the sulfite solution. Alternatively, the husk is removed before dipping in sulfite solution. Fruit are available year-round from most tropical countries"

Which coconuts are safe to eat?? The organic ones are very expensive, about $4.50 a piece.

Thanks,
Barbara
-------
www.RAWnchy.blogspot.com