Saturday, May 23, 2009
The more I see patients and talk to particpants of my cleansing program, the Body Bliss Cleanse, www.bodyblisscleanse.com the more I become aware of how many women are experiencing low thyroid function and do not know it. Here are some of the things women are typically report that makes me think of thyroid suppression:
2) Dry skin
3) Can't lose weight no matter what. Eat a raisin, gain 10 pounds.
4) Foggy thinking.
5) Crave coffee and can't get through the day without it.
6) Heavy menses, painful menses, cramps, irregular cycles.
There are several issues that we need to talk about in consideration of low thyroid function.
1) Iodine, iodine, iodine. The % of Americans low in iodine may be close to 90%. There may be serious health conditions that could be avoided just by proper iodine supplementation.
2) Protect yourself from radiation and the effects of EMF's.
Use a BioPro chip on your phone, Wear a Q-Link, and get "earthed" through a Barefoot Pad and mattress cover that keeps you grounded to the earth.
3) Balance your cortisol levels. Handling the EMF situation will help quite a bit. Go to bed the same time each night, get up in the morning the same time. Imbalances in cortisol, which come from stress, consuming caffeine, or sleeping irregular hours or even poor sleep really disrupt the thyroid. They cause inactive thyroid hormone to be converted to a useless form of active thyroid hormone, called reverse T3.
3)Selenium. Use FOOD AS MEDICINE! I recommend brazil nuts (5-7 per day) and Goji Berries are a source of selenium as well.
4) Beta-Carotene is very important for thyroid function. 2 carrots per day will do the trick. Remember also that kale, collards and all the greens are rich in beta carotene.
5) Tyrosine is another crucial nutrient for the thyroid. Avocodos, bananas, almonds, sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds are all high in tyrosine.
6) Consume young thai coconuts. Particularly the coconut flesh is excellent for people with low thyroid function.
7) Leave out the soy products!!!